This week's Photo of the Week is of another glorious sunrise taken by Pedro Juan Solis of Santa Cruz la Laguna. Pedro told me that he took this early the morning of July 29, 2014 while boating from Santa Cruz to Panajachel.
If you have any photos you would like to submit for Photo of the Week, please let me know through the Contact Form. Photos of the Week can be anything related to the Lake Atitlán area.
View the Photos of the Week archive at: http://santacruzlalaguna.weebly.com/photos.html
- 9 August, 6-10 p.m., Justice for our Children, Solomon's Porch Cafe, Panajachel, Q40 donation
* * *
This is a new kind of jornada for the Lake and Guatemala. This one incorporates traditional Chinese medicine techniques including acupuncture, herbology and healing. NADA protocols for addiction are employed.
For more information call: 7762-2087
* * *
A new rental listing has been posted on the Santa Cruz website. Check it out plus others great rentals in the area.
Santa Cruz house for rent. $390/month. Newly rebuilt and new paint and rooms through out. Two minute walk to beach and five minutes to dock. Fireplace, two bedrooms, lovely view of lake. Call Dennis at 3183-1452.
* * *
AMSCLAE has released a 65-page report outlining a proposal for landscape restoration in the Lake Atitlan basin. The introduction states that it is a comprehensive study of the tools necessary to improve the image of the environment.
The things that they cover in the report are:
- Visual contamination of the Lake. Laws and regulations governing visual contamination on public and private property including signage and advertising, political signs; who is responsible for administering the laws and regulations, penalties, etc.
- Proposed project of establishing miradors and points of interest to enhance the landscape and tourism around the Lake basin. Regulations regarding these as to safety, signage, vegetative planting, garbage, structures, soil stability with an emphasis on low maintenance, high durability. Estimated cost of Q.240,000.00.
- Vulnerable spots on the route of points of interest. Minimize the placing of advertising material o n poles, rocks, slopes, bridges, etc. Involve local artists to enhance these structures and also promoting the artistic and cultural richness of the municipalities. The cost of implementing this proposal has a value of Q. 225.00 per post. Also, the cost of enhancing rocks, slopes and others areas will vary according to artistic expression, the technique used and worker but with an estimated cost between Q. 1,500.00 and Q.2, 500.00 per square meter.
- Improve the tourist image of the dock areas of the Lake with priorities and special emphasis placed on the docks of Panajachel, Santiago Atitlan, San Juan la Laguna, San Pedro la Laguna, and Santa Catarina Palopó. The aim is to create integrated public spaces which provide comfort, information, security, and to enable the development of activities related to leisure and enjoy the scenic value of the area. The costs for this project is as follows: Panajachel and Santiago docks - Q 2, 370,000.00; San Pedro, San Juan and San Lucas docks - Q 1, 580,000.00; Santa Catarina, San Marcos, San Antonio, San Pablo, Santa Cruz - Q 395,000.00. A detailed chart of what is proposed for each dock is included in the report.
- Signage for tourists including map of points of interest and rates for lanchas in local language, Spanish and prevailing foreign language. Cost: Q 5,000.00.
You can access the full report here: http://184.108.40.206/~amsclaeg/?p=2045
Or archived on the Santa Cruz la Laguna website: http://santacruzlalaguna.weebly.com/amsclae-informe-2014.html
Below: Map of miradors in Sololá.
* * *
Rainfall in Paxanax for the week of July 27 - August 3: .05 inches or 0.127 cm.
Click this link to view the Rainfall Report on Google Drive: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b6pM1oRFAZl-UdQzrF7a4XzKMDCb8V36it5Fcj4859I/edit?usp=sharing
*** The Mayan glyph Kawoq symbolizes rain, lightning and thunder, water and air. It also represents the collective consciousness. ***
* * *